3/24/10

Auditions, Film & television shoots, and sleep deprivation

I wish I had a wittier title for this blog
.
The gist of it is this: WHY THE HELL ARE AUDITIONS, FILM AND TELEVISION SHOOTS AND ANY OTHER VIDEO-MEDIA RELATED INDUSTRY SO ...EARLY?

Do you know what it's like seeing this:


at auditions?

Musical theatre auditions (broadway, tours etc) are SO EARLY and get progressively earlier everytime. Actually let me rephrase that, the auditions are sort of early but to if you're non-equity (no-union) you have to get there at 4-5 am to WRITE YOUR NAME DOWN on a piece of non-official paper (the official audition list won't get there till about 30 min before it starts) to only WAIT AROUND for about 4-7 hours till you get seen.

THIS DOES NO PRODUCE GOOD VOCALISTS, DANCERS ETC.

I don't want to hear the shit "those who want it bad enough, go get it early." No. If you're a singer you know that your voice not only needs to warm up, be rested, but your body also needs rest. Waiting 7+ hours to sing 8 bars..which is like 6 seconds...of a song does not showcase shit. I had a talk recently with a woman, who was union, who said that lots of casting agencies are starting to crack down and not accept the unofficial list people make when they get there super duper early.
Also, there has to be some sort of regulation as to how many people can sign up etc. Again, waiting 7+ hrs, stewing in your own disgusting post-wake-up morning grog is no way to get good results.

Same goes for shoots. I know the long hours needed to actually MAKE film/tv/etc and understand that due to make-up or costume blah blah blah..people have 4-5-6 am calls. But then your director expects you to be fresh faced and ready? Call me stupid, but I wouldn't put someone behind a wheel who has pulled an all-nighters. 
But hey they did it with Lord of the Rings and that didn't suck..so..maybe it's just something I miss.

Maybe I need to work-out more and pop vitamins to give me that all-natural energy boost I apparently lack.

No comments: